Sunday, April 21, 2013

DIY Headbands & Hairties



How many times have I been shopping somewhere and said 'I could make this!' {for a fraction of the price}?  Too many times to count!

Such is the case with these super cute elastic hair ties and headbands.  I see them everywhere, and after paying way too much for some for my niece a couple of months ago it was decided. 

I found the elastic a few different places online, but I ended up buying mine from elasticbytheyard.com.     They have great color choices, and I liked that you can choose how much you want of each color.  To start, I bought 5 yards of each.  I figured I can make some for myself and my daughter, and then either sell a few to those who are interested and give them as gifts.

They're super easy to make, so if you're interested, read on.

Step 1.  Order your elastic from http://www.elasticbytheyard.com/


Step 2.  Gather your tools.  You'll need a ruler or tape measure, scissors and a lighter. 


Step 3.  For headbands, measure 22" and cut on the diagonal.*
For hair ties, measure 9-10" and cut on the diagonal.*

*these are sizes for an adult headband or hair tie.  adjust accordingly if you're making some for little girls or babies.  

Step 4.  Fold in half, and tie the ends together.  Looping them around your finger works well for this type of knot.  

Step 5.  Run the edges of the elastic lightly across a flame to seal and prevent fraying.

Step 6.  Show off your handiwork!



The best part about these is that if they're too big or too small, you can always re-tie the knot to adjust.  

Hope you've been inspired to DIY!

And if you don't want to DIY - let me know.  I can make some for ya (for a lot cheaper than you'll pay elsewhere.  ;-))


1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I am going to have to do this myself! I'll cover STL and you can cover CHI! hee hee

    ReplyDelete